Research Bioinformatician I - McGovern Lab
The Cedars -Sinai F. Widjaja Foundation Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute (IBIRI) is searching for a highly motivated Research Bioinformatician I to be a part of an exciting opportunity within Dr. Dermot McGovern's research laboratory! IBIRI is a multidisciplinary basic, translational and clinical research program devoted to Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. To learn more about the lab under Dr. Dermot McGovern, please visit: McGovern Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
Are you a passionate and dedicated research professional?
The Bioinformatician I in the McGovern Lab will perform general bioinformatics analysis and software support for projects involving in omics. The RBI will manage omic data including loading and querying data from database system and public repositories, and transform and merge multilevel omic data into user-friendly formats, assist in development, test, and maintenance of modular software pipelines, provide daily bioinformatics data analysis, preliminary interpretation of the data, and reports of the results for possible publications.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for omic projects and mainly responsible for data analysis and software compilations including next generation sequence alignment, polymorphism identification, expression analysis, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarizes data analyses results in the form suitable as the basis for the first draft of written reports, and makes preliminary interpretations of the data.
- Assists in development and testing for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms including 454, Illumina, and Pacific Biosciences
- Helps to identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literatures in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Develop custom analytics and data management applications and tools to facilitate large-scale genomic and image data analysis; develops deep learning models for image classification and segmentation, develops machine learning methods to produce predictive models and quantitative imaging data analysis.
- Develop tools to integrate commonly used open-source bioinformatics software applications
- Work with PI and research team to develop standardized API’s and data schemas, as well as implementations compatible with such API’s to ensure interoperability with existing ecosystem at institution
- Participate in the establishment of best practices and standards for omics data representation and analysis.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computational Pathology, Computational Biology, or Bioinformatics, or relevant fields (e.g. Biology with strong quantitative training, biostatistics with concentration in bioinformatics), required. Master's Degree preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- 0 - 3 years in a research environment
- Background and working knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics.
- Working knowledge with C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, Matlab, and the Unix (Linux) environment.
- Proficient in database management, high performance computing, and the analysis of high throughput data.
- Understanding of Unix (Linux) environment, HPC systems, software documentation, query databases, dashboarding.
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large genomic (e.g. NGS) data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions will be a plus.
- Working Title: Research Bioinformatician I - McGovern Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Gastroenterology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Bioinformatics
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
- Recruiter: Karen Eilon
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, origin, citizenship, ancestry, disability, legally protected medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
As an employee, you can apply to this internal job posting.