Registered Nurse Navigator - Thoracic Oncology - 8-Hour Day Shift
Do you have a passion for the highest clinical quality and patient happiness? Would you like to use your expert clinical competencies with an organization known nationally for excellence in cancer treatment, research and education? We would be happy to hear from you! Please consider the following exciting opportunity with one of the most outstanding and dynamic places to work in California as your next career move.
Cedars-Sinai gathers leading cancer doctors, surgeons, researchers, nurses and staff from around the world to work together for our patients’ benefit. We are committed to treating our patients with the most intuitive and comfortable treatments. Our oncologists and surgeons treat more than 60 types of cancer, from common to rare and complex. They work as a team to provide patients with access to the latest therapies and treatments.
As a Nurse Navigator, you will be responsible for the coordination of care for patients throughout the continuum of treatment; from initial referral to follow-up care, serving as a consistent contact, or point person for the high-risk patient. You can look forward to collaborating and operating as a member of the interdisciplinary team, as well as acting as a patient advocate throughout the patient care process.
Summary of Essential Duties:
- Collaborates with the oncology care teams who follow patients throughout their continuum of care.
- Calls new patients in advance of their consult, sees patient during consult, ensures referrals are done (i.e. radiation, nutrition, social work); sees patient on first day of their chemo and calls patient 24-48 hours after their first chemotherapy treatment.
- Ensures managed care referrals are processed, per NCQA Guidelines, and appropriately documented in Tapestry.
- Works collaboratively with Oncology Patient and Family Support Program team re: transitions of care, which are accurately and consistently documented.
- Hand-Offs to assigned ISP/ACM CM and oncology services, when patients are admitted to CSMC.
- RN Navigators will contact the patients telephonically, within 48 hours, post-discharge.
- Will meet with patients as necessary, to enhance rapport when additional support is required, or as appropriate.
- Monitors the hospitalizations/ED/Urgent Care visits of patients and maintains appropriate logs.
- Coordinate referrals and secure appointment with various CSMNS Disease Management programs such as Anticoagulation Clinic, Asthma, Diabetes, Hepatitis C, Smoking Cessation, Cardiovascular Risk, as appropriate.
- Assists in the development of a comprehensive diagnostic/treatment plan related to the patient's needs, through interdisciplinary input and weekly meetings.
- Arranges for clinical services, evaluates clinical data, participates in clinical/ patient rounds, and triages clinical questions/ concerns to the appropriate resource.
- Tracks number of referrals and transports, measures outcomes.
- Establishes, coordinates and continuously evaluates supportive care plan with goals and interventions based upon treatment and individual patient/caregiver needs, preferences, beliefs and values.
- BSN (Bachelor of Science, Nursing) required
- MSN (Master's Degree in Nursing) preferred
- Current, unrestricted California RN License required
- ONS Chemo/Bio Certification preferred
- Oncology Certified Nurse certification from ONS required or willing to obtain within one year from start date
- BLS from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross required
- A minimum of 3 years of Oncology nursing experience in an acute care setting required
- Experience with hospice, palliative care or long-term illness patients required
- Case Management experience is beneficial
- Experience with program development preferred
Keywords: RN, Registered Nurse, Oncology, Cancer, Chemotherapy, Healthcare, Hospital, Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, California
- Working Title: Registered Nurse Navigator - Thoracic Oncology - 8-Hour Day Shift
- Department: OCC-Clinic Exams
- Business Entity: Service Lines & Ops
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Clinical Operations, Nursing, Nursing - Experienced Nurses
- Job Specialty: Clinical Operations
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
- Recruiter: Leila Harris
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, origin, citizenship, ancestry, disability, legally protected medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
As an employee, you can apply to this internal job posting.