Postdoctoral Scientist - Department of Surgery
Principal Investigator, Sungyong You, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
Surgery can change lives. Since 2006, the Department of Surgery Research Division has experienced substantial growth in federal research funding in basic science and translational medicine. Research in the Department of Surgery both matches and supports the department's clinical efforts by focusing on interdisciplinary and translational work.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
This position offers a unique opportunity for a Postdoc Scientist to fully immerse themselves in statistical analysis of large-scale genomics, transcriptomics and proteomics data!
The major themes of You's research are disease-relevant studies directed toward identifying the drivers of pathogenesis; discovery and assessment of biomarkers with the goal of classifying disease entities, prognosis and response to therapeutic interventions; and potential association of specific signal transduction and metabolic networks with disease phenotypes as an approach to identifying novel therapeutic targets. As a Postdoc Scientist, work independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator (P.I.) and other Research Scientists
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
Experience and Skillset:
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection.
- Knowledge, analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment and safety standards.
- Three (3) years’ experience working with “big data” or “omics” data, preferred.
- Background and work knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics, preferred.
- Experience with Python, Matlab, and R computing languages, preferred.
- Manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large omic data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions will be a plus.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Department of Surgery
- Department: Home Dept - Gewertz
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
- Recruiter: Ajay Sanathara
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, origin, citizenship, ancestry, disability, legally protected medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
As an employee, you can apply to this internal job posting.